Threaded Index

Secure networks

We have in hand a license from an important journal publisher, for
this publisher's electronic versions.  It's pretty good.  But therein
is a definition that reads:

	"Secure" with regard to the server or Network from which access
	to Authorized Users is to be given means:  only a server or
	Network or Networks over which the Institution has absolute
	control and can prevent the further distribution of material.

This definition is later used in important clauses pertaining to use and
so on.  My question:  This seems to me an unusually high standard
("absolute control") which in turn makes ultra-high expectations of
licensing institutions -- ones that we cannot commit to.   So, two
questions:

1.  Are we reading this correctly, or is there some other interpretation?

2.  Are there, in fact, such secure servers/networks in academiia, ones
over which the instituions do have absolute control?  How does one create
such a highly secure environment?

Thank you, Ann Okerson
Yale University Library
Ann.Okerson@yale.edu