Threaded Index

Re: Consortia Pricing - JSTOR Response

I agree with Ferguson's logic about consortia pricing in the given
instance. I do not believe that there are significant cost savings in
administration per se. Also, a larger number of users inevitably means
more usage and more needed computer capacity. There is just too much
blind faith in the notion that added volume comes cheaply.
-Alan M. Edelson, Ph.D.

Anthony W Ferguson wrote:

> re J-STOR
>
> I thought it was clear from their presentation at the Consortial meeting
> in 2/97 that they are still reliant upon grant funds at present and would
> have to more than triple their subscription base before they broke even.
> In such an environment to try and get consortial pricing seems a bit
> premature.  tony
>
> Anthony W. Ferguson
> Associate University Librarian
> Columbia University Libraries