Threaded Index

Re: liability language

The various replies posted so far seem to concentrate on warning notices
to library users. Were I advising a rightsholder on this (and I hasten to
add that I am not) I would argue that warning notices, on-screen or on
paper, are of themselves insufficient. At the very least, I would also be
looking for a library policy that treated infringements of
copyright/breaches of licence terms - by library users in respect of
material provided for their use by the library - as severely as, for
example, damaging library property, defacing books, or disturbing other
users, leading to suspension of library service or the withdrawal of
reader priviliges.

*Do librarians think that this is an unreasonable suggestion?*

Another point concerning the various examples of notices and warnings
posted so far is that they seem to me to be far too long. Whilst they may
satisfy counsel, I fear that the vast majority of users would never
actually read them....

Edward Barrow's Unofficial Internet Copyright Pages
http://www.plato32.demon.co.uk/Edward

"We must take care to guard against two extremes equally prejudicial; the
one, that men (and women)  of ability, who have employed their time for
the service of their community, may not be deprived of their just merits,
and the reward of their ingenuity and labour; the other, that the world
may not be deprived of improvements, nor the progress of the arts be
retarded"
 -  per  Mansfield LJ in Sayre v. Moore, 1785.

Ann Okerson wrote:

> A good point.  Can we make a list here of what libraries are doing about
> "reasonable efforts" to make sure that uses made of electronic resources
> are indeed as agreed to or permitted?
>
> Let's have some librarians chime in on this.  (I suspect that
> "disciplinary sanctions" are not terms we'd use in library settings,
> though, unless as a last resort).  Do you put signs on computers (of
> what sort?), messages on opening screens (what do they say?), on
> printers? have handouts?  university guidelines?  All thoughts,
> suggestions are greatly welcomed here.
>
> Ann Okerson
> Ann.Okerson@yale.edu
>
> Edward Barrow wrote:
>
> > This, of course, begs the question as to what would constitute
> > "reasonable efforts". I would be interested to know what disciplinary
> > sanctions librarians would consider taking against users found to be
> > breaching licence conditions.

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer