Threaded Index

Science Online

    We would like to know what other libraries are doing about
subscription to Science Online (i.e., the electronic version of
_Science_).   We, at Brown, are not happy about the method
the AAAS has devised for handling this, yet it is certainly a
title in demand.   I do not remember whether this has been discussed
before on the List, but here are some of the details about the
subscription, from the AAAS website:

******

    1.Access to Science Online must be purchased by individual computer
workstation and registered by IP address. The minimum order for
any library that does not have a print subscription to Science is 10
workstations. There is no minimum order requirement for libraries that
maintain a print subscription to Science. For current print subscribers,
please include 8-digit AAAS number as used for Science or Science mailing
label with your order.

    2.All computer workstations that access Science Online MUST be located
in a library. Access outside the library is only available through individual
AAAS membership. Violation of this requirement may result in termination
of all subscriber online access.

    5.Science Online subscriptions allow access to the full text database
of all Science issues published on the Web over the course of a period of
51 weeks (a one year subscription). There is no physical archive provided
with this subscrption. Online subscribers are encouraged to purchase a
print subscription for archiving purposes.

    6.After the order has been processed by AAAS, the library subscription
administrator must activate the online subscription. The librarian will select
a user name and password (for administrative purposes only), list the IP
address for each authorized workstation and sign off on the License
Agreement for Library Subscriptions to Science Online.

    8.Libraries with computer systems behind a firewall or on a proxy
server, or those with no permanent IP internet address (i.e. dial-in
internet service) should contact AAAS Customer Service to discuss
alternate arrangements for online access: 202-326-6417.
*****

     AAAS is clearly concerned about losing subscriptions if they
provice wider access to the electronic version.  Yet this is not
the direction we are moving with other products.   What are others
doing about this?   Comments?

--WSM

William S. Monroe			* William_Monroe@Brown.edu
Head, Collection Development		* Phone: (401) 863-2406
Brown University Library		* Fax:     (401) 863-2753
Box I
Providence, RI  02912-9109

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library