Threaded Index

Re: liability language

I personally do not feel there should be, if in fact there is, a
difference between holding corporations and academic institutions
responsible for the use of their systems.  The issue is not one of
controlling behavior but monitoring the use to be certain the use is
"appropriate" .

Madison Mosley Jr.
Associate Director
Charles A. Dana Law Library
Stetson University College of Law
1401 61st Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33707
Phone : 813.562.7827

At 07:10 PM 1/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I recently ran across a license that provided a list of appropriate uses
>of the data and included a sentence that said that the Institution signee
>was liable for any violations of these appropriate uses by the Authorized
>Users (previously defined in the contract).
>
>I have several questions for the list.
>
>Has anyone else run across this contract language and signed it?
>
>Is there a difference of feeling on such language between corporate
>institutions who might be expected to more closely control the behavior of
>their employees and academic institutions?
>
>And for information providers, can there be appropriate substitutions for
>such language?  In this particular instance we proposed alternate language
>such that we (the Institution) would work with the information provider to
>identify and correct any violations.  This was not accepted by the
>provider.
>
>I see a shadowy parallel here to court cases where an internet service
>provider was sued for the use to which their service was put.
>
>Anyone care to comment or answer one or more of the above questions?

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback