Threaded Index

Re: Web of Science, an Enabling Architecture

Peter Boyce's eloquent description of the potentiality of systems of data
such as provided for the astrophysicists does require us to think about
the value we place on this type of functionality as compared to our more
traditional methods of information delivery in print.  However, nothing
I have seen in the WOS product or in the ISI announcements of future
linking between ISI's bibliographic data and the publishers' growing
body of electronic full-text leads me to think that this degree of rich
functionality will be available for the data stored in the backfiles.

Nor is the degree of linking in that data so much richer than that which
was provided in the CD versions of the same data as to justify the
incredibly high prices ISI charges for access to that same data.  This, in
my opinion, is especially true if the customer intends to run the Intranet
version of WOS and will be bearing the cost of the the CPU usage and disk
storage for all of this interconnected data and indexing.  If that
customer has already paid for the right to access this comparable content
in other formats in the years leading up to the decision to put the data
on a local server, then, I think, there should be considerably more
recognition given to how much that customer has paid for access to that
content up to that point.

  --Michele Newberry

Michele Newberry
Assistant Director for Library Services               352/392-9020
Florida Center for Library Automation (FCLA)      fax 352/392-9185
2002 NW 13th Street, Suite 320                 http://www.fcla.edu
Gainesville, FL 32609                   fclmin@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library