Threaded Index

Re: Authorized Users Question

From: dduncan@lmi.org
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 97 13:58:29 -0500
Cc: <buntzen@dax.nosc.mil>
Subject: Re: Authorized Users Question

     I'm not a member of this list, but my client has been forwarding me
     messages on connecting authorized users, if they are not coming into
     the library web resource from an "on-campus" computer.

     I helped  develop a Virtual Library for Navy researchers.  They are at
     22 Centers, many more geographic locations, etc.  The challenge is
     that research support has to be available 24X7, and from home, a
     hotel, etc.  This application is designed to extend library services
     to users who may be remote from a library, including access to their
     reference librarian.  Or those users who can't walk across campus to
     the library every time they need to...

     Our license agreements are negotiated based on 'authorized NVL (Navy
     Virtual Library) user' status.  Thus those who have NVL
     userid/password are allowed to use NVL resources, according to their
     "profile".  These profiles are a key design component.

     There are at least two profiles per user--one is the 'organization'
     profile (which shows those resources the organization has bought into
     under the NVL 'parent' account-OCLC FirstSearch, DIALOG, Current
     Contents, Document delivery vendors etc.

     The 'user' profile shows what org he/she belongs to (the default
     condition is that they inherit their organization's rights), and
     anything specific to that user, such as the dollar levels in their
     document delivery deposit accounts.... or specific DIALOG
     databases/formats, etc.

     So the user profile generates the web display on the fly, and the user
     only sees those services to which he/she has authorized access.  Since
     it's linked to UserID/password, not IP address, the location of the
     user or their PC does not matter.

     That's the bare bones of the design.  I won't bore you with the
     details.....but I'm happy to answer questions.

     denise duncan

NB:  This is from the Navy contractor for the Navy Virtual Library
Project.  I am the Project Manager.  Thought you might be interested in
posting it to the liblicense list serve.

Thanks very much,
Joan Buntzen
Librarian of the Navy
Washington, DC