Threaded Index

Re: Lexis/Nexis UNIVerse

Jian,

Thanks for your feedback from IU...but the Topic problem is not so much
confusing as that it doesn't allow full text searching. And while other
segments can be searched in the Additional terms field, I don't actually
think full text document searching is possible. I'd be glad to hear
otherwise, though.  I have some information regarding consortial pricing,
where the fte charge goes down considerably as the 'base' number of users
increases. I'm pretty sure that L/N said the 'consortium' could be
completely ad-hoc. Does this interest you (or anyone out there)? Though at
the moment I'd have to say some of our interest is being diminished by the
lack of full text searching, and other problems.

Carole Richter

I believe I recall something about consortial pricing, and L/N not caring
who included themselves in the grouping, but that may have been more in
reference to the coming change in fee structure for traditional access.

06:15 PM 10/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Here at Indiana University Libraries, we have access to it since Oct 1.
>Most of our patrons seem to like it a lot for its ease of use/access and
>for and for the full text printing.
>
>I agree the "topic" idea is quite confusing. Not being able to specify a
>date is another problem. No segment searches is another one. Not enough
>online docuementation. The error messages that return are not very helpful
>either. No Papers library. Not being able to specify one individual paper,
>such as NYT. etc.
>
>I think you can do full-text searching in the Additional terms field.
>
>Jian Liu
>Indiana University Libraries
>
>> Hello Licensers,
>>
>> Are many of you looking at the Web site license version of Lexis/Nexis
>> (UNIVerse)? We have been reviewing it with interest...it certainly provides
>> some obvious benefits (Web interface is much easier to use, site access
>> speaks for itself, full text printing, and additional Reference Databases
>> (BIP, Ulrich's, Encyclopedia of Assoc).
>>
>> HOWEVER, all "Topic" searches search the HLEAD segment only...keyword
>> searches of full text are not possible. This "may" be an option after the
>> first of the year. More troubling, nothing in any of the documentation
>> alerts users to this limitation. LEGIS materials (Legislative histories,
>> bill tracking, bill text) have also been left out, and while the earlier
>> information was they "would be added soon," the current information is that
>> they won't be added at all because they are included in Cong Compass (owned
>> by Elsevier). I'm anxious to find out what other libraries have looked at
>> UNIVerse, and what your reactions are (and what other undocumented changes
>> you may be aware of...)
>>

>> Carole Richter
>> Electronic Services Coordinator
>> University of Notre Dame Libraries