Threaded Index

Lexis/Nexis UNIVerse

Hello Licensers,

Are many of you looking at the Web site license version of Lexis/Nexis
(UNIVerse)? We have been reviewing it with interest...it certainly provides
some obvious benefits (Web interface is much easier to use, site access
speaks for itself, full text printing, and additional Reference Databases
(BIP, Ulrich's, Encyclopedia of Assoc).

HOWEVER, all "Topic" searches search the HLEAD segment only...keyword
searches of full text are not possible. This "may" be an option after the
first of the year. More troubling, nothing in any of the documentation
alerts users to this limitation. LEGIS materials (Legislative histories,
bill tracking, bill text) have also been left out, and while the earlier
information was they "would be added soon," the current information is that
they won't be added at all because they are included in Cong Compass (owned
by Elsevier). I'm anxious to find out what other libraries have looked at
UNIVerse, and what your reactions are (and what other undocumented changes
you may be aware of...)

Carole Richter
Electronic Services Coordinator
University of Notre Dame Libraries