Threaded Index

Re: Authorized Users Question

My comment related to coming in over 3rd party internet providers --
not dialing direct to our campus computer.  At Columbia we operate
similarly to the situation you indicated.  But this means students and
faculty in the tri-state area, but outside of Manhattan, are excluded
from accessing web services. tony

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-7401  (NEW NUMBER!!!!!!)
Fax. 212-222-0331
Net: ferguson@Columbia.edu

> From:  Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries
>
> Tony Ferguson wrote,
>
> >Until we develop a ubiquitous way of screening our own users coming in
> >via AOL- like vendors who want access to commercial web resources.....
>
> Rutgers requires all users to authenticate themselves at one of its many
> authenticating servers before it allows access to university resources such
> as student information, library databases, email and routine work servers,
> and the like.  We have been able to set up an exception so that anyone can
> access our catalog.  But at this point we are able to say to a vendor that
> only authenticated Rutgers users have access to the information we acquire
> >From them.  Rutgers users at remote locations or at home still have to telnet
> through via an authenticating server before they get general access.  I'm
> told that this process is under stress for technical reasons, but I wanted to
> report that apparently something like it can be done.  --pg
>
> ******* New area code required in November, is usable now (was 908) ******
> Peter Graham     psgraham@rci.rutgers.edu     Rutgers University Libraries
> 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903  (732)445-5908; fax(732)445-5888
>                <URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer