Threaded Index

Re: Authorized Users Question

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Peter Graham, RUL wrote:

> But Rutgers users coming from home via aol, or borrowing a
> machine on their visit to Champaign-Urbana, are out of luck, for their
> link to the JSTOR page will be seen as originating from a non-subscribing
> (let's say) site.
>
> So Tony is quite right; we have a problem.  --pg

Our Systems Librarian has put together a successful workaround for this,
as nearly 15% of our student body users are coming from remote sites.
Here's her description:

"We use Expect to get the patrons, and a perl script to generate the dbm
database, and then the "satisfy any" directive with AuthDBMUserFile with
the apache config.  There is a good article in Apache Week (which is where
we got the idea for doing this) at
http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/96-11-22 -- DBM User Authentication."

John Creech
Electronic Resources Librarian & Asst. Head of Reference | Central Washington
University Library | 400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081 |
jcreech@mumbly.lib.cwu.edu |
personal mail=jcreech@ellensburg.com
personal pages=larry.ellensburg.com/~jcreech

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback