Threaded Index

Re: Authorized Users Question

From:  Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries

After answering Tony so blithely this morning I realize more needs to be
said.  For telnetting the solution I mentioned (requiring local
authentication) works.  For the Web the situation gets more complicated.
If we provide a Web ejournal (say through JStor) through our
catalog--which we do--and JSTOR does IP-address authentication, then all
is well for Rutgers users at Rutgers addresses, and users elsewhere are
blocked out.  But Rutgers users coming from home via aol, or borrowing a
machine on their visit to Champaign-Urbana, are out of luck, for their
link to the JSTOR page will be seen as originating from a non-subscribing
(let's say) site.

So Tony is quite right; we have a problem.  --pg

******* New area code required in November, is usable now (was 908) ******
Peter Graham     psgraham@rci.rutgers.edu     Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903  (732)445-5908; fax(732)445-5888
               <URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer