Threaded Index

Re: Authorized Users Question

Forwarded Message
From: Liz Dopp <eadwml@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Authorized Users Question

Tony Ferguson wrote:

>Until we develop a ubiquitous way of screening our own users coming in
>via AOL- like vendors who want access to commercial web resources.....

Hi Tony--RIT has implemented a proxy-server solution to authenticate
users and it has been working well for us.

When someone attempts to access a restricted library database from a
non-RIT IP address, they are automatically redirected to a special html
document explaining that the services are restricted to members of the
RIT community and that an RIT computer account/password is required to
proceed. Upon entering their unique RIT password the user is
authenticated and allowed access to the database--and all other
on-liners are kept out.

Liz Dopp
Electronic Resources Librarian
Wallace Library, Rochester Institute of Technology
EADWML@RIT.EDU     716/475-2028     http://wally.rit.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer