Threaded Index

Re: Authorized Users Question

I agree that there needs to be an authorization routine that verifies the
user as "authorized".  At my public library there is such a routine based
on my library registration record.

I don't agree that a " corporate user of an online service has the
responsibility to pay for information used outside of the academic
environment."  I am a taxpayer who supports my community's public library
with property taxes, income taxes, and corporate taxes.  With that money,
my library purchases materials and licenses databases for the use of its
customers.  My use of that information, whether for my personal
entertainment or to further my business interests, is a legitimate use of
the resources that my library has purchased with the community's pooled
money.  Support of local business interests is a key component of public
library service in many libraries throughout the nation.  That is why
libraries have business collections and license access to the types of
databases that Knight-Ridder offers through Dialog.

Diane Mayo
Information Partners, Inc.
2697 Euclid Heights Blvd., Suite 3
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
216-397-9875 voice
216-932-4980 fax

_____________________________
Bert Carelli wrote:

>Just curious here, Diane - your business byline suggests that you may
>     require library resources for other than educational purposes, so I
>     feel the need to ask your opinion: without some means of certifying
>     the credentials of remote users, how does a library or consortium
>     protect itself from unauthorized use by such "authorized users?"  In
>     other words, an information broker or other corporate user of an
>     online service has the responsibility to pay for information used
>     outside of the academic environment.  Presumably the for-profit end
>     user of the information pays for value received, and does not expect
>     taxpayers or tuition payers of the institution to be subsidizing his
>     or her business.  If an academic or other non-profit institution was
>     to facilitate widespread misuse of its services in the for-profit
>     business community, it would face significantly higher costs or more
>     limited access to high-quality databases.  Where soes the library draw
>     the line?

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer