Threaded Index

Perpetual Access, a little more

Our discussion on perpetual access more or less died out with
comparatively few readers (either publishers or librarians) saying what
their position is on this matter -- particularly, what language they find
useful. So I went to the LIBLICENSE web site

http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/publishers.shtml

and reviewed the link called Publishers' Licenses to see what language
exists in these publicly available contracts.

I found as follows:

1.  ACADEMIC Press, IDEAL:  If the agreement is terminated, continued
access to the material that was licensed will be provided, if requested by
the consortium, in archival digital form or by ongoing online access for a
reasonable fee and under the same conditions.

2.  JSTOR:  6.3 Upon termination of this Agreement JSTOR shall provide
Licensee with one (1) complete set of CD-ROMs (or their equivalent at
JSTOR's option) containing the digitized images of the journals contained
in the Database as of the date of such termination. JSTOR hereby grants to
Licensee a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual license to use such
images in accordance with the terms of Section 3 of this Agreement, which
terms shall survive any termination of this Agreement.  Notwithstanding
the foregoing, no use may be made of such images that would serve as a
substitute for JSTOR unless JSTOR has ceased to exist, or has ceased
offering database services as contemplated by this Agreement.

3.  Project MUSE (The Johns Hopkins University Press):  Archiving: The
Subscriber may download and archive materials at its own site and place
contents on its own file server, including electronic reserves, providing
that access to the file server is restricted to the campus community.
Approximately 90 days after the expiration of this subscription term, The
Johns Hopkins University Press will provide the Subscriber archival
(non-searchable) files on CD-ROM containing the content of all issues
published online during the subscription term.

4.  SCAN Project (University of California Press):  5. Archiving The
University of California, Berkeley Library and the Press are committed to
archiving the database over the long term, compatible with current
standards and with assurance of an authoritative version of the text. You
may also maintain an archive on your own fileserver (see Clause 3.C).

Note that the other dozen or so licenses on the site do not seem to
indicate any access provision after the end of a subscription period.  I
haven't looked through our large print file of licenses for access
language.

Would any of our readers tell us what language you are writing on this
matter and suggest what is most workable?

Thank you, Ann Okerson
Liblicense-l Co-Moderator
Ann.Okerson@yale.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense