Threaded Index

Perpetual Access

I have a question about licensing "perpetual access"  to data in
electronic formats......

I'd imagine that, especially in some disciplines, the value of the
information in backfiles would depreciate appreciably with the passage of
time. For example, many institutions keep only the current year, plus the
previous one or two years, of Current Contents.  (Which may or may not be
a good example).

My question is: How does one evaluate the relative value of a backfile,
knowing that this value would theoretically diminsh with time? I'd think
that this would have to be one component of a cost/benefit analysis of the
retention of archival data in electronic formats. Is there an equivalent
process when deciding what to do with back issues of cancelled paper
subscriptions?

Thanks,

Bernie Sloan

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:  217-333-4895