Threaded Index

Re: Perpetual Access

Martin touches on what should be the direction of discussion on this
topic. The problem, so far, is that we continue to define the problem
with reference to a product that is print. Consider the descriptive
features of a print product:

   - It is static
   - It is subscribed to by the customes, and resides at the customers
     location
   - The customer is purchasing availability, not necessarily use.
   - Along with the subscription goes Fair Use, First Sale rights, and
     long established copyright privlidges and requirements.
   - Any further researchpublished on a given area is disconnected from
     previous research that has been purchased. If the customer wishes to
     get  access to the new material, the customer purchases it, generally
     via subscription or purchase of a book.

Now consider the characteristics of electronic media.

  - It can be static, or dynamic.
  - It is generally licensed, not"sold"
  - It is still mostly based upon availibility, but has a significant,
    and growing element of economics based upon use.
  - Storage of the material can be joused at the customer site, or at
    the vendor site.

   - New research can be more easily attached to previous documents than
     in the print model.

Perhaps what we should be thinking about is not saying that an electronic
document should, or should not fit the print model, but that there are
several new features that can have economic value, and benefit for the
customer. For example, a customer could realize the benefits of access
with storage being supplied by the vendor, access with indication, or
links to continued research. This is in addition to the emerging ability
of electronic "documents" to provide sound, graphics, movement as well as
text to greatly enrich the potential of documents.

In sum, we need to look past defining this "perpetual access" issues by
restricting the definition of the documents involved. What could
materialize is a rich array of licenses that benefit the users, as well
as return necessary revenues to the producers, distributors, and
maintainers of these electronic "documents."