Threaded Index

Reply 2 - Perpetual Access

The innocence of my approach has solicited a number of good responces,
from kindly explanation thru to a little indignation - good. People are
thinking, thats why I love this list!

Little did I say that libraries should dispose of print and/or serial
publications once the subscription lapses. But it does help to identify
the diferentiator that causes this heartfelt concern for permissioned
access along with useage rights.

My perspective is as an original author and publisher.

Lets be clear that that the art of knowledge creation is well founded on
the premis that nothing new can come if not all that has come to pass
prior is not contexturalised and relevantlated in regard to the quest or
grail being sort.

This in the past has relied on the individual to persue a physical hunt
for previously published materials, an absorbtion process, then
application of that sum total by the little grey cells to then disgorge
something (hopefully) new. This becomes knowledge, otherwise it stays just
as staid data or information.

It is this persuit of 'new' that has been revolutionised by computer
technology and yes, publishers are a bit concerned by it all.

The conventional model allows us to read, appropriate, edit, modify, alter
and use any printed material with very few if any restrictions, providing
we do it by hand ourselves. The golden rule to do with unaccredited
plagurism needs more morel and legal support now, more than ever before.

The physical input by an individual can be equated to the 'sweat equity'
involved in developing an asset. Now days the amount of information that
can be traversed by good software and hardware allows for achievements in
research only dreamed of as sci-fi only ten years ago.

Publishers have often missed the point in recent years of having a more
efficient model for research, whereby a hell of a lot more raw data and
information can be drawn upon and considered in a given time and budget
frame work than at any time previous.

This is being reflected in the forward thinking nature of the subscriber
community on this list, where perpetual access is maintained; a) Should
that be to the entire body of material subscribed to and paid for by
periodic subscription? or to a lesser detailed version of the same? or
just to the table of contents and indexes?

Over time be sure that the publishing community will respond in their
unique and canny way, whereby they will argue revenues are being lost to
the original authors (what little there is anyway) and themselves as well.
Look at the photstat machine fees that are now collected for copyright use
of materials, how long did the original authors forgo this revenue
stream?.

Will we see a similar situation to that enjoyed by original authors in the
music publishing world. Not only does the author/lyricist enjoy an income
stream from mechanical copyrights (based on number of copies made) but as
well as a performace royalty, due each time the work is used/played.

Between this and the current malay that exists in scholary and journal
publishing I believe a common ground exists between those vested interests
of the creators, the publishers and the consumers/users - but it must be
fair and equitable.

Cureently librarians point narled fingers at the publishers who in turn
dimly look to their writers and find that with a little cooperation and
thought, compromise is obtained - eventually through persistance and good
arguement.

Whose compromise will work?

Bede Ireland

| hfsdgfssd;8ue0wf[9mnnhuje0u[e0utp9urgpg[0yghvvuu{)Y[0y{y{"y0y)sYWf |
|        amongst the noise - a clear message - your message          |
| SYF)SY8Y)F)SFYy70uh8--- bede@acay.com.au ---[8(*fy(*fy89Y*(yffPYf* |
| Y98EWY[8(*fy(*fy89Y*yf(*a&9*^vF*&^Gg8*yP{y8[Y{y[[y[F[d%[8![yy[[gy[ |

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback