Threaded Index

Re: Perpetual Access

In message <199708261607.MAA10222@minerva.cis.yale.edu>  writes:
> I would be most interested to hear if any library represented
> on this list has been able to negotiate a license for information in an
> electronic format that allows the library to retain the data in the
> event the library chooses not to renew its license/subscription.
>
> Sallie Becker

Do I understand this correctly. Once the library has paid a licence fee
for (say) one years subscription to a given data set/publication and has
enjoyed the benefit of that agreement for the period, then to continue to
make use of that data set/publication beyond the term of the agreement
(implied by the statement)  "to retain the data" appears to be a bit iffy.

Answer this one; if the library retains the data, why? And as soon as
someone makes use of that data (outside of the period of licence) will the
library automatically renew its licence agreement? Does Salie imply not?

Is it like, buying a bus ticket to ride and then keeping the bus, just in
case...

Bede Ireland

| hfsdgfssd;8ue0wf[9mnnhuje0u[e0utp9urgpg[0yghvvuu{)Y[0y{y{"y0y)sYWf |
|        amongst the noise - a clear message - your message          |
| SYF)SY8Y)F)SFYy70uh8--- bede@acay.com.au ---[8(*fy(*fy89Y*(yffPYf* |
| Y98EWY[8(*fy(*fy89Y*yf(*a&9*^vF*&^Gg8*yP{y8[Y{y[[y[F[d%[8![yy[[gy[ |

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback