Threaded Index

RE: Lending, reserves, archives definitions

Chris,

You could say that "lending" is possible in the digital environment if you
make the case that it would be analogous to much of the current traffic in
the interlibrary lending of journal articles. We refer to these as
interlibrary *loans* when in fact the bulk of that traffic consists of
sending copies of journal articles via fax, mail, etc., with no
expectation that they will be returned. If you accept this, then it would
be possible to "lend" something in the digital environment to a library
that, for one reason or another, could not directly access that digital
document.

I guess you could either make the case that "lending" along these lines is
possible in the digital environment, or make the case that most of the
current ILL traffic in journal articles is not really "lending".

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:  217-333-4895