Threaded Index

Re: Lending, reserves, archives definitions

-What is "lending" in a digital environment? Does the concept mean
anything online? Note that, if you are making a copy, you are not lending.
Personally, I doubt that you can "lend" anything online - but I'm willing
to be persuaded otherwise.

Most libraries divide their interlibrary loan/document delivery
functions into two parts.  Lending describes those activities in
which the library provides information for external users (other
libraries, usually).  Borrowing describes those activites in which
the library obtains information from external sources for its own
students, faculty, staff, researchers.  The electronic environment
has certainly changed the functions--if not the terminology.

Most libraries include under lending the activities involved in
sending items regardless of format to another library.  So, if a
library sends a photocopy in response to a request for an
article--it is a lending transaction--even if the lending library
knows nothing will be returned.  The ILL messaging system on OCLC
accomodates this by identifying copies and not requiring notification
that they have been returned.  Likewise--sending  electronic text in
response to an ILL  request would still qualify as lending--except
that it is prohibited by most licenses.

---electronic reserves (relates to lending: again, I suspect that
there can be no such thing as "electronic reserves", in the strict
sense)

Most academic libraries have large reserve collections that are set
aside for specific classes.  A professor may require all students to
read an article--so the library gets permission (and pays
royalities) to make a certain number of copies to put "on reserve."
This saves students the frustration of not finding the specific
volume on the shelf because someone left it on a table in the reading
room.  Some schools arrange for "coursepacks"--making copies of all
required readings.  These coursepacks are usually sold to students
for the cost of production.  Of course, schools must pay for the
privilege of making copies--a subject for litigation when this has
been overlooked.

The  ability to put an electronic copy on reserve is highly
desirable for libraries.  Students can go to the library web page,
identify their class, see the list of articles they must read, click
and read the text (or download it to their own PC).  Again, vendors
or publisher expect to be compensated for this.

---electronic archives

Electronic archives are a major concern for libraries moving to
electronic access from retention of print formats.  If it is
accessible to them ONLY in electronic format, is it being archived by
the publisher.  If archived, will it be accessible at some future
date.  Will that part I licensed this year be accessible even if I
drop my license next year.  Can I archive it locally (both in terms
of permission from the publisher and technical capability).  For how
long. (Also, in terms of what the publisher allows and local
limitations on storage)  Will technology allow me to use it 50 years
from now.

---electronic backup (Is there any difference between the two?)

Electronic backup is primarily for the here and now.  If my access
goes down--can I get it back.  Some libraries using vendors' remote
servers for access are asking for copies on CD-ROM for back-up.  If
the vendor's server goes down, they can (with some inconvenience)
load the CD on a local tower and still provide service to their
users.  Of course, this is not a reasonable solution for  massive
databases.  In our consortium, some libraries with databases loaded
locally have negotiated provisions in their licenses that provide for
alternatives in the event something happens to their access.  Some
identify another subscribing library--and work out agreements to be
each other's back-up in case local access fails.  For a
license in which more than one institution shares the database, the
host insitution has permission to ship the tapes (or CDs)  to another
of the participating insitutions to maintain service for all the
partners if something happens locally.  So no, archives and back-up
are not the same.

Hope this helps.

The questions may seem innocuous at first glance, but they have important
ramifications.

DO THEY EVER!

Sue O. Medina
Director