Threaded Index

Electronic Resources and ILL

As someone who has been involved with ILL and resource
sharing for more than twenty years, I find the recent "post-ILL"
thread to be both fascinating and timely. I'd like to thank
Scott Wicks for raising the following "dumb" question to
get things started: "Should we still care about ILL for
electronic products?"

We all (librarians, publishers, etc.) talk about how paradigms
are shifting with the continued reliance on electronic resources
and yet, at the same time, we all seem to want to impose old
structures on new paradigms. This "post-ILL" thread is a case
in point. All too often, librarians and publishers alike seem to
take a "we are right and they are wrong" stance on this and
similar questions.

Because there are librarians, publishers, vendors, aggregators
and copyright folks on LIBLICENSE-L, I feel that this is a
logical forum for discussion of this issue. I would like to see
us all work together to come to some sort of agreement
whereby no one is reasonably denied access to information
that they need, and no publisher/vendor/aggregator is denied
reasonable compensation for information that they might
provide. The key word here, of course, is "reasonable".

I guess I'd like to issue this as a challenge to LIBLICENSE-L
subscribers. Can we come up with a paradigm that does not
penalize library users OR publishers/vendors/aggregators, but
rather BENEFITS all those concerned?

I think we can.

Bernie Sloan

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:  217-333-4895