Threaded Index

Lexis-Nexis Analysis

on this list), we've learned that Lexis-Nexis is offering to analyze
the types of use that their current customers are making of the service
and to share that analysis with the customer.  This is a very helpful
offer.

Reason:  Lexis-Nexis, as most of us know, is changing its service in
various ways. For one thing, it will be offering a Web instantiation.
Also, prices will be increasing significantly over a three-year period. At
the same time, in order to offset the increases, L-N is offering and
encouraging customer licensing of subsets of the service.  This mix-match
between the full service and pieces of it has already been possible but
many of the educational institutions that licensed L-N, licensed a number
of ports to the full service (I don't know past history at our institution
nor L-N's sales arrangements so my knowledge about the whys of this is
thin).  For example, the Yale Library (systemwide) licenses 15 ports to
the full service and our School of Managment takes a only a subset of L-N.
I.e., our heaviest investment by far is in the complete version.

Since L-N is now encouraging us to license what we actually *use,* and
since they have said that a minimum of one port to the full servce will
enabale educational institutions to license unlimited numbers of subsets
(which are a lot cheaper in price than a license to numerous ports of the
full service), their offer to analyze usage is most helpful.  It will
enable us to understand Yale's usage patterns and needs, for what parts of
L-N, and how we might license more precisely the pieces our users read.
Ideally, this could increase our patron service capacity while containing
costs.

So, get in touch with your regional representative and arrange to get
those numbers for your own institution.

Meanwhile, does any reader know more about the present licensing system
and to what extent this new "unbundling" of LN  differs from what we've
been offered so far?

Ann Okerson
Associate University Librarian
Ann.Okerson@yale.edu