Threaded Index

Re: Passwords for Remote Access

As a matter of policy we do not give users passwords.  We first verify
who they are using our own security system and then they can get to the
resource.  The password is scripted in and is invisible to the user. tony

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-2270
Fax. 212-222-0331
Net: ferguson@Columbia.edu
______________________________________

> >Posting on behalf of Janice M Jaguszewski
>
> For our library, library.wustl.edu (either telnet or www), access is
> limited by IP number within the library machine.  Hence I can access OCLC
> without problem.  I forget what package they are using but it serves as a
> 'front end' on the web and hence detects the IP number and allows access
> based on that so that individual users do not need a username or password.
>
> HOWEVER, a username and password can be given to gain access to all the
> services even if the user is accessing by some IP number not in our
> domain.
>
> >To access Publisher XXX e-journals remotely, you will need to logon with
> >the following information [NB:  we are making these passwords up for the
> >purposes of this Liblicense-l message]:
> >
> >                         User ID: learneduser
> >                         Password: studytime
> >

> I would guess not.  YOU have to limit the access, not the user.
>
> Bob
>
> *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> | Bob Parks                                          Voice: (314) 935-5665 |
> | Department of Economics, Campus Box 1208             Fax: (314) 935-4156 |
> | Washington University                                                    |
> | One Brookings Drive                                                      |
> | St. Louis, Missouri 63130-4899                   bparks@wuecona.wustl.edu|

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer