Threaded Index

Re: Non-exclusive licenses & copyright

Academic authors who write for recognition and to make contributions to
their discipline would seem to be well-served by a model which pressures
service providers to distribute competitively and more effectively.  From
what I have heard at conferences, the potential to increase one's impact
as a researcher is driving the development of the electronic preprint
server efforts, as the price of print subscriptions makes research results
increasingly unavailable to those affiliated with smaller institutions and
hence to the whole scholarly community of a discipline.  I think you are
identifying an important trend.

Mary Kay
Humboldt State University Library

On Wed 30 Apr 1997 Ann Okerson wrote:

> With the journal article, the publisher is not the author, and so a
> copyright transfer is generally desired by the publisher, though
> increasingly publishers might be becoming less adamant about this.  Let's
> say that the publisher now receives non-exclusive transfers from authors,
> who themselves also make the work available in alternative ways (on their
> web sites, on preprint servers, etc.).  I suppose one of the biggest
> differences is that the publisher, let alone all the e-service providers
> or aggregators, could be in a position of competing with the author as
> well as with their "usual" competitors (other aggregators).  Also, the
> competitive edge may come more from service than content.  Doesn't this
> put additional control in the hands of the successful aggregators (rather
> than the primary publishers -- or perhaps even the authors)?
>
> I'm thinking as I write ... this feels like a different situation than
> existing p-world In several important ways..
>

> Ann Okerson
> Ann.Okerson@yale.edu
> _________________________
>
> Karen Hunter wrote:
>
> >Is the notion of non-exclusive licenses to different electronic
> >vendors or aggregators really new?  Publishers of a & i
> >services have made their databases available for years over
> >many hosts on a non-exclusive basis -- Dialog, DataStar,
> >JICST, Lexis-Nexis, STN, Ovid, OCLC and others now gone.
> >The databases are also available for local licensing and on
> >CD-ROM.  The customer then chooses the access source.

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback