Threaded Index

Re: Non-exclusive licenses & copyright

     Ann--
     You are right, this is an interesting area for both publishers and
     authors. At Scarecrow Press we have been slow to license any part
     of any of our materials to online sources. We do, however, license
     several other vendors to reproduce reviews that appear in VOYA. So
     far, this has brought minimal revenue.

     We do sell translation rights, paperback rights, movie rights--and
     these are similar to electronic rights. Our contract specifies how
     much of the receipts go to the author. Whether author retains
     copyright or not is moot. What is important is the "bundle of
     rights" signed over to the publisher by contract. The question for
     an author may be whether s/he wishes to retain electronic rights
     and then attempt to market them, negotiate rights deals, and then
     try to collect payments. It is very complex and time-consuming!

     But you are right in that different vendors may permit a library to
     have different kinds of access to their materials, and some of this
     material could actually be the same information appearing under
     different license agreements. The library, in effect, pays twice
     for the same thing. Clearly this is not a desirable situation, but
     I don't think the solution lies in re-defining intellectual
     property rights.

     Shirley Lambert
     Editorial Director, Scarecrow Press