Threaded Index

RE: Restraint of Trade?

The clarification, however, seemed to me to say that if you are asking
companies to lower their prices -- with everything else being equal --
that is illegal.  I don't think that is what consortia are doing.
Typically we are saying what is the price if X new volume of business
for Y period of time is delivered to you.  This isn't illegal.

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-2270
Fax. 212-222-0331
Net: ferguson@Columbia.edu

> Thank you Rod for clarifying this matter. I would have been appalled if
> university libraries could be considered  to be "conspiring to improperly
> influence price" by sharing the kind of information we share on this list.
> This kind of communication seems essential to the evolution of appropriate
> license arrangements.
>
> Georgia Harper
> Univ. of Tx. System
> Office of General Counsel