Threaded Index

Re: EJournal Aggregation

One must accept the fact that one cannot expect individual publishers to
standardize their business instincts when licenses for subscriptions to
journals are concerned, even though this creates a burden for
librarians. Journals are now the most crucial life line for most STM
publishers, and they will not accept suggestions that they trim their
philosophies and economic needs to a procrustean bed when these needs
impact different publishers differently. The economic clout of
librarians has already greatly diminished with their cutback of book
purchases. Publishers view journals as their last and most essential
stand. "Aggregator" is a term for a middle man that takes a piece of the
pie from publishers that they view as intrusive and non-constrictive for
them. One can and should talk about the ideal, simplified world, but
reality dictates otherwise, for the present. Alan M. Edelson, Ph.D.

Pat Erwin wrote:

>    I have seen some response from major publishers such as Elsevier,
> that they will absolutely not license to/through an aggregator. I believe
> the Academic Press/IDEAL policy is quite similar.  As major publishers of
> STM journals, they already aggregate.
>
>    We are currently working through methods to management the growing
> number of electronic journals.  At this point, I would be grateful for at
> least an agency to manage the paperwork.  The licenses are so varied that
> each institution needs hands-on involvement.

> Patricia J. Erwin            E-mail: erwin.patricia@mayo.edu
> Mayo Medical Library         Phone:  507-284-4952
> Rochester MN 55905           FAX:    507-284-2215

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback