Threaded Index

About 10 days ago, I sent to 'lis-elib' and 'arl-ejournal' a description of
some of the issues being considered by the Management Board of Sociological
Research Online as it faces up to a future as a self-funded electronic
journal.  The original message is appended below.  The posting elicited
some very helpful responses and I thought it would be useful to summarise
these in a further message (especially since the original posting went to
two lists, and this summary is being sent both to those and to a third
list, 'liblicense-l', which was recommended to me in a couple of the