Threaded Index

Re: Online and Out of Print

This is a most interesting angle to the e-pub issue, but I think the
discussion can be helped by NOT applying the term "out-of-print" to
electronic publishing.  There is already a well understood term that will
describe an e-pub no longer available... it is "offline".  (I would
exclude CD-ROMs from the "offline" definition, as CD-ROMs require a press
run, warehousing and fullfilment just as print titles do... therefore
CD-ROMs can go "out-of-print").

The cost of maintaining everything online is a significant expense for a
publisher, despite some assumptions made by list participants.  If a title
remains online, rights should not revert after a relatively brief period.
Copyright protection for online titles will naturally expire over longer
periods, as defined by law.

If a title is taken offline, the rights should revert after some defined
time.  We must define what constitues being "online", to prevent
publishers from briefly remounting titles just before the rights revert.
We should also define "online" in relation to the network accessiblilty.
A local area network mount (i.e. the IDEAL library by AP) does not offer
the same accessiblity as an Internet mount.

This discussion can lead to a much better long-term view of electronic
publishing, and the responsibility of a publisher if the publisher wishes
to retain maximum control of his properties.  We all know how easily
e-pubs can be copied, but the clear threat of aggressive copyright
enforcement prevents pirates from mounting their copies of e-pubs.  If
offline rights quickly revert to the author (or public), the properties
would be free for remounting by anyone... a significant loss for the
publisher and a recipe for chaos for the reader trying to find the
re-mounted sources.

Pete

****************************
* Pete Goldie, Ph.D.       *
* President                *
* Lightbinders, Inc.       ******
* 2325 Third Street - Suite 324 *
* San Francisco, CA  94107      *
* Internet: pg@lbin.com   http://lbin.com   *
* Voice: 415-621-5746    Fax: 415-621-5898  *

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback