Threaded Index

Copying cataloging records

Hello,

   I have been following this conversation with interest.  Resource
sharing and collaborative efforts among various types of libraries are
"hottopics" in libraryland, and certainly resource sharing is what
brought OCLC into existence in the first place, so this discussion is of
value.

   Many, perhaps the majority, of cataloging records are produced with
public money, and therefore should be freely available for use by other
libraries.  We forget the many (majority) of public libraries in the U.S.
are too small and too poor to have access to OCLC.  Many rural libraries
may not even have a professional cataloger on staff.  West Virginia is
probably typical of the state of things.  Of the 178 public libraries in
the state, only one, the largest, is a member of OCLC.  The rest get the
bib records from the West Virginia Union Catalog, to which the academic
libraries libraries contribute.  We supply original cataloging, and the
West Virginia Library Commission purchases our records from OCLC for
inclusion.  In effect, we are buying back what we produced in the first
place.

   Commercial database suppliers have a right to receive payment for
software development, added value information such as abstracts, and
customer support.  But for librarians (and OCLC for that matter) to
natter on about copyrighting bib records is antithetical to the very
philosophy we purport to espouse.

   Instead of worrying about how to copyright our work, we should be
talking about how to make it more accessible.  Sharing freely, we can
help make true the visions of resource sharing and universal library
service.

Donna Lewis
Director, Library Services
University of Charleston (W.Va.)