Threaded Index

Re: Copyright in Bibliographic records?

I want to comment on this, then, since I'm not a lawyer, I'll shut up and
let someone who knows more comment.

the fact that OCLC has a great deal of investment in their data, does not
make it copyrightable.  What IS copyrightable is the form of the
expression, but the facts themselves (i.e. that a given book is published
by a certain publisher and has x number of pages etc.) is NOT
copyrightable...facts are not copyrighted, no matter how much money
someone spent compiling them.....there is a court case, fairly recent,
involving telephone directories - regardless of how much money and "sweat
of the brow" that went into creating them, they are compilations of facts,
and therefore not copyrightable...

OCLC can no doubt control the access to their data as part of their
licensing and issuing of passwords...

Lisa A. Eichholtz
Reference Librarian
Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, SC  29407
eichhola@musc.edu

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Paul M. Gherman wrote:

> OCLC certainly has copyrighted its database of  bibliographic records
> to protect the interests of its member libraries. (Some recall the
> heated debate some years ago between OCLC and the regional networks.)
> The data (facts) in the OCLC database represents a significant
> economic value to the membership of OCLC. Copying this data without
> payment or permission seems to me an obvious violation of copyright.
> Cataloging data is not just data, but intellectual work which most
> libraries pay their employees to preform.
>
> Paul M. Gherman
> University Librarian
> 611B General Library
> 419 21st Avenue South