Threaded Index

Re: E-Content: Pricing Models

I would add (or clarify) the model of selling network licenses linked to
CD-ROMs.  AP and Lightbinders uses this in 2 variations.  The AP MIE
CD-ROM includes a 5-user network license.  Our Darwin CD-ROM includes 1
network user license for each disc purchased, with a minimum order of 25
discs.

Pete
-

At 10:57 PM 2/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Discussion on this list has advanced our understanding of the simultaneous
>user pricing models (or has it confused us?).
>
>Nonethless, I am still eager to hear about whether my "two flavors of
>simultaneous users" interpretation is correct (i.e., that some vendors
>define simultaneous web use by the actual connect time to a site and
>others by a "session?").  Do you agree that there are these two flavors
>and do you find any ambiguity in licenses on this matter?
>
>And we could profitably devote some time to other pricing models and our
>understanding of them.  If someone would care to start a thread about any
>one of the list below, define, give examples of providers -- it would be
>most useful.
>
>This list (made last fall) does not purport to be complete and I'm looking
>for additions to enrich it. For example, charging by number and type of
>campus subnets is missing from the list:
>

>A.	Price of print plus add on surcharge for the e-version.
>B.	Price for e and add-on surcharge for the p-version.
>C.	Print + e for the same price as print alone.
>D.	Charge per FTE student on campus.
>E.	Price related to size of library acquisitions budget.
>F.	**Price related to number of simultaneous users.**
>G.	Document delivery (per article or section price).
>H.	No relationship to any print product (often the case for de novo
>	e-resources that are not directly related to a specific print
>	resource).
>I.	Capital cost for buying into the resource plus an annual
>	access fee.
>J.	Sliding scales of various sorts (for example, the more users, the
>	cheaper the per-user price).
>K.	Discounts, particularly for multiple institutions (consortia).
>L.	Certain categories of users (such as students) get a cheaper
>	price.

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer