Threaded Index

Fair Use: Response from Academic Press

Message from Ken Metzner, Academic Press
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 97 13:09:21 PST
From: "ken metzner" <ken.metzner@acad.com>
Subject: Fair Use: Response from Academic Press

     I wonder if I may go back to some comments by Alfred Kraemer and
     others about fair use and about one of the licensing agreements put
     forward by Academic Press (AP). Here goes:

     1. AP's licensing policies are designed to maximize dissemination of
     the good science reported in its journals by taking advantage of the
     radically new and different distribution mechanisms offered by the
     Internet. At the same time we obviously want to maintain a viable
     business.

     2. What we have done, therefore, is to sit down and have some serious
     discussions about how this can be achieved with groups of librarians
     and scientists, the latter being our end-users. We wanted to find out
     what our customers really want, what end results are really important
     to them. We didn't merely want to find a way to adapt this or that
     policy or procedure from the print era, but rather develop the new
     policies and procedures that would be appropriate in the electronic
     era to achieve a win-win situation for our customers and ourselves.

     3.  Let's get specific: For the two journals "J of Molecular Biol" and
     "Genomics" only, AP is charging the same price whether a library
     subscribes to the print or to e-access or both. Frankly, this is an
     experiment. We do not know whether we will extend it into 1998 and
     beyond. But please note that WE ARE NOT TAKING AWAY ANYTHING: Whatever
     policies apply to print subscriptions of these journals remain, incl.
     legitimate ILL practices.

     What we have done is to add an enormous benefit at zero additional
     cost: Namely, we have enabled libraries to provide their users, who are
     our end-users too, with 24-hour desktop access to these journals and
     the right to print and download for their own use, etc., etc.

     4. With the pricing in effect now for these two journals, there is no
     reason we can see for a library that has a print subscription not to
     get an e-license, or vice versa. (By the way, you do this best through
     your regular subscription agent. All the agents have been informed
     about what to do.) The print subscription can be used for ILL.

     [Please note, however, that Section 108(g)(2) of the copyright law
     prohibits libraries from engaging in "the systematic reproduction or
     distribution of single or multiple copies..." and allows participation
     in interlibrary arrangements that "do not have, as their purpose or
     effect, that the [recipient library receives copies] in such aggregate
     quantities as to substitute for purchase of such work."]

     5. It is true that AP's e-license does not include the right to use
     the electronic files for ILL or for any systematic transmission
     outside the defined set of Authorized Users (faculty, staff,
     students). But the library does not need the e-files for that, since
     it can use its print copies for legal ILL lending and copying.

     6. We have very good reasons for not permitting transmissions or
     copying from the e-files outside the licensed group. Doing so would
     give us a short-term win-lose situation (publisher loses), leading
     rapidly to a lose-lose situation. Here are some of the reasons:
     - It is too easy to copy and retransmit e-files with a few clicks of
     the mouse. There would not be any of the cost restraints and
     inconveniences that limit ILL to some degree in the print world and
     act as an encouragement to keep ILL in the print world within legal
     bounds.
     - Once an electronic copy is transmitted, it can just as easily be
     made available by the first recipient to multiple, perhaps even
     hundreds of other users.
     - Since we believe that permitting activity analogous to ILL by
     electronic means will lead to more widespread copying, permitting such
     copying takes away the incentive for separate licenses to be sold to
     the institutions that receive materials by ILL.
     - ILL fulfills a single need: To get a copy of a specific article. As
     publishers we feel that a journal to which you can have access in full
     at any time is an infinitely more valuable service. A journal is not
     just a set of unrelated articles.
     - Since ILL in the print world is expressly limited to photocopying,
     we do not think it applies AT ALL in the electronic world.

     7. With our comprehensive APPEAL licensing scheme for consortia, we
     think we have developed a way for libraries to have their cake and
     eat it too. [APPEAL = AP Print & Electronic Access License.]
     Instead of trying to shoehorn ILL procedures and CONTU guidelines
     into the new electronic context, which wasn't even thought of when
     they were developed, AP instead encourages additional institutions
     to join existing consortia, so that they can share licensed access
     to a large collection of journals. With its low add-on fee for
     institutions with few or no subscriptions to our journals, APPEAL
     can be affordable to all. As more and more institutions are
     licensed, as part of large or small consortia, the need for ILL
     falls away completely.

     8. The APPEAL scheme provides a mechanism for a publisher to satisfy
     marginal demand at marginal cost. In the print world, with one price
     for all and each journal sold separately, there was no way to charge
     less for a small college with minimal use of the journal. (Actually
     most publishers do have at least two prices, one for libraries, one
     for individuals.) In APPEAL we determine a price for each institution
     based on its use of the whole collection of journals. The institution
     gets journal A as part of the package, even if its use of A is
     marginal. (A detailed summary of APPEAL and a list of current
     licensees will shortly be posted at
     www.apnet.com/www/ap/aboutid.htm.)

     A. W. Kenneth Metzner (Ken), Director of Electronic Publishing Academic
     Press, 525 B Street, Suite 1900, San Diego CA 92101-4495
     tel 619-699-6830, fax 619-699-6715, email kmetzner@acad.com
     URLs: http://www.apnet com, http://www.idealibrary.com

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library