Threaded Index

RE: Simultaneous User Pricing

Maybe it's just the peculiar environment that I operate in,
but it doesn't seem to be as simple a matter as Bob Parks
explains it. If you really and truly could distill vendor pricing
models down into basic economic models, it would seem
that vendor pricing would be more constant/consistent.
In an ideal world, Bob's models would work, but I think
we're operating in a less than ideal world.

I'll try to use a couple of examples:

  1. You could take a vendor with a broad customer
      base and compare the prices that similar institutions
      pay for these services when delivered to the customer
      in similar ways. I'd bet there would be a fair amount of
      variation in the prices that some of those institutions
      pay for equivalent services.

  2. If pricing was developed along strict economic models,
      there wouldn't be any wiggle-room in the price negotiation
      process. My experience has been the opposite. I've never
      personally dealt with a vendor who's refused to budge from
      their original pricing offer.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that maybe there are
elements in the development of pricing models that are a little
too complex to be expressed in an economic model. Sometimes
it's the human element, and sometimes maybe it's simply that
the vendor isn't quite sure what values to plug into the $x and
$y used in Bob Parks' models.

Then again, I may be missing the point entirely. Economics never
really was my strong suit.  :-)

Bernie Sloan

************************************
Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University Office for Planning & Budgeting
University of Illinois
(217) 333-4895
BernieS@uillinois.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense