Threaded Index

RE: Fair Use Assumptions

Anne Klinefelter raises a good point here. In many cases, libraries
do not "own" digital/electronic copies in the same way that they
"own" paper copies.

One way to work around this might be to insert a section dealing with fair
use of copyrighted materials that, in effect, grants the licensee (for
purposes of fair use) the same rights for digital/electronic resources
that it has for purchased print copies.

I put together a quick, rough draft of such a section. I'd be interested
to see if folks think this approach has merit, or whether it's all wet.
This proposed wording does not grant ownership of the data. It just grants
certain rights associated with ownership.

Anyway, I'd be curious to know what others think of the following.
The wording isn't perfect, and I'm sure there are implications that
I'm not aware of, but it's a start.

FAIR USE OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS
For the duration of this Agreement, and for purposes of fair use of
copyrighted materials, as defined in (legal description of applicable
sections of copyright law), licensor grants to licensee such rights
as are granted to owners of copies under the first sale doctrine
provision.

Bernie Sloan

************************************
Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University Office for Planning & Budgeting
University of Illinois
(217) 333-4895
BernieS@uillinois.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense