Threaded Index

Re: Fair Use Assumptions

Forwarded message:
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:08:42 -0500
From: Shelly Warwick <swarwick@way.com>
Subject: Re: Fair Use Assumptions

I'm not sure if it has been established how and if fair use applies to
licensed information.  I think that there is an assumption on the part
of some that the license over-rides copyright, and an assumption by
others that fair use over-rides the license.  I believe if a contract
has a clear statement of uses that deny "fair use" uses a fair use
defense might not stand in some (most?) courts unless it is really
minimal.  This is the reason why many think a revision to the copyright
law needs a more explicit statement of fair use in the electronic
environment.

Shelly Warwick
Baruch College
swarwick@way.com