Threaded Index

Re: Chemistry Journal License

Forwarded message:
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 20:05:28 -0700 (MST)
From: Steve Bosch <sbosch@bird.library.arizona.edu>
To: Ann Okerson <aokerson@pantheon.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: Chemistry Journal License

We too have subscribed to similiar journals via the web. As soon as I saw
this new wrinkle in the licensing process, the licenses and the process
were reviewed with the University of Arizona's attorneys and contracts
officer. This group is fairly conservative (they belive that shrink-wrap
has some validity) and they believe that until case law proves otherwise
that this approach to licensing doesn't hold water. The issue is
validation of the web transaction. No one really knows for sure who
"agreed" to the license - hence the contents of the statements isn't
binding. If the supplier is willing to provide services based on what
they believe is agreed to in the web transaction that is their business.

I believe that "web" licenses are really designed for individuals and
that organizations need to let publishers know that there are serious
faults with the process at this time. Considering that one group of
lawyers considers this web approach non-binding, it would be in
the publishers interest to do more work in this area.

Steve Bosch
Information Access Librarian
University of Arizona

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense