Threaded Index

Re: Faxed Contracts?

Forwarded message:
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:51:46 -0700 (MST)
From: Steve Bosch <sbosch@bird.library.arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: Faxed Contracts?

The issue of the validity of faxed contracts may well be determined by
the local legal environment. I have never heard of a contract being made
null and void due to the fact that the document and signature were faxed
copies. However, I also know that the University of Arizona Attorney's
Office will not accept as a legal instrument a faxed document/signature.
I have gone ahead and cut PO's based on a faxed copy, but the "legal
eagles" won't consider the transaction complete until there is a copy of
an original signed document on file.

Our attorney's office may be living in the past but their concern is that
the original document with a signature can stand a lot more heat in the
courtroom, since it is very easy to forge faxed signatures/documents.

The issue of fax or not to fax may well be determined by the local
contracting operating procedures, and state regulations governing
contract law.  In my situation the State wants signed original documents,
so they get signed, documents.

I would certainly like to hear more on this from others.

Steve Bosch
Information Access Librarian
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ