Threaded Index

RE: Validity of Faxed Contracts

I posed this question to someone in the University of Illinois Office
of Legal Counsel. Her general response was that  "The courts are
moving in the direction of accepting faxes as written contracts," and
that courts will generally accept them as long as there is no dispute
between the parties as to whether there is a legitmate contract.

She makes a point that quite often there are internal institutional
policies governing handwritten signatures on contracts. For
example, the University of Illinois requires handwritten signatures
to be sure that only authorized persons approve contracts.

Their current advice is that we can rely on faxed documents from
the time the fax is sent/received, but that we should also get a copy
with original signatures to meet internal University policies.

Bernie Sloan

************************************
Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University Office for Planning & Budgeting
University of Illinois
(217) 333-4895
BernieS@uillinois.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense