RE: Future of the "subscription model?"

Actually, moral outrage is very powerful at moving how people
make purchasing decisions -- think tuna, grapes, cigarettes,
coffee, bank card fees etc. -- so I think those advocates have
chosen an approach that has some advantages.  In this case,
because of the particularities of this problem (product
monopolies and captive markets), moral outrage alone was not
enough -- but you can bet that if not for the problem of the
captive market, many of your favorite titles and publishers would
be gone already, or seriously revisioned.  In any case, the
arguments have never stopped with moral outrage alone, but have
led to much innovative heavy lifting, so moral outrage has
already proven effective even in this situation.

Of course, moral outrage isn't going to go away, because it tends
to be renewed and reinforced every year.  When there is a captive
market which faces inflation at rates higher than cost of living
year-in, year-out, and that market happens to be not for profit
for the most part, supported by individuals, some of whom are
actually motivated to serve the greater good, you're bound to
create moral outrage.  If you really haven't thought it through,
you might want to think about the analogy to war profiteering,
where similar moral outrage is inspired.  One stance seems to be
that the only sensible approach to business is that a business
should attempt to profit as much as possible at any cost and
always with a short term perspective -- but in my experience,
successful businesses don't work this way and wouldn't last long
in their respective markets if they tried it.  I think publishing
is quite anomalous.

I don't think it is defensible to claim that anyone needs to
understand the economics at work, they just need to build
something better.  If one wanted to argue the point, I suppose
one could, but the exceptions out in the real world of new
products re-shaping markets clearly overwhelm that rule.  Of
course, any new system or set of systems will no doubt turn out
to have problems, but prognostications about ultimate destruction
under new systems are just plain silly and ignore the more
pressing problems at hand.  Sounds like, "Let's not save someone
from drowning, because they'll die of something else!"  Of
course, we want words of caution and prudence, as appropriate,
but thanks for calling on us to also be real about the prospects
of both OA and business as usual.

The OA Joe mentions is one flavor among many.  Author-pays might
continue to succeed for something like plos one, but author-pays
was common to medical research before OA came along, at least as
reported by our plos one panel expert for OA week.  I'll be
curious to see if author-pays can really take hold in other
disciplinary areas.  Since other OA approaches have been proving
very successful, I don't think author-pays is going to get the
traction Joe might think it will.  I expect OA development to
continue patchwork-like for some time yet.

Regards,
Nat