RE: Future of the "subscription model?"

Joe Esposito said in this string:

"Many of the tactics used to effect change are pointless, the
expression of moral outrage among them.  "

I'd like to speak up for moral outrage. There are  instances
where it is perfectly usable and legitimate, not pointless as Joe
states.

The moral outrage of the mid 80's when UK publisher's were found
to be charging U.S. libraries two to three times the rate they
were charging the rest of the world was neither pointless nor
useless. I suspect that if we understood world pricing dynamics a
bit better, that we would find that U.S. deals with publishers
are being used to subsidize the rest of the world once again, as
I am receiving reports from colleagues worldwide of total journal
run Cost Per Use studies that document prices half or less what
U.S. libraries are paying. An official of one of the major
physics publishers stated in a public conference that worldwide
the CPU for his journals was $2.00 a download. My CPU for that
publisher is $20.00 a download.

I suspect that when we assimilate Year of Publication data a bit
(COUNTER JR5) you will see another wave of outrage that could
have real impact on how researchers and libraries behave. And
ultiamtely on publishers. What if I told you for example, that I
suspect that some publisher's pricing to libraries for Year of
Publication use is in the neighborhood of $1,200 dollars an
article for current year use of current output? That's what we
are actually paying for,( current use), with our subscription
dollars: the past year's use is sunk cost.

Since books are running about $60.00 a volume right now (any
update on that figure is welcome if I"m out of date) is there any
way in talking with Rick'Anderson's Associate Dean that the
conversation might just change if Rick could demonstrate current
year costs of $3,000 an article for individual journals --a
figure I've seen in some of my analysis? How inefficient does a
system have to be before it can be demonstrated that it is either
corrupt or just plain destructive to the goals of the
participants? And what responses should there be.

I believe and know from personal experience  that moral outrage
is a powerful persuader if the data backing it are sound, the
logic impeccable. It can be the critical factor that moves us
from so what to what if, to concrete action. In fact I doubt any
concrete action will be taken radically changing the journal
system as it is right now  without moral outrage or moral
susasion.

Chuck Hamaker
UNC Charlotte