Re: ALPSP Maximising your Secondary Rights, London 12/7/11

Fred,

As you well know, there is no likelihood that prices will be
lowered unless (a) a lower price would bring in a new class of
customer, thus increasing overall profit or (b) a lower price is
the only alternative open to a publisher who otherwise faces a
cancellation.

I remain perplexed by the thrust of this discussion.  I maintain
that every member of this list would be making the very same
decisions that the publishers they love to hate are making, with
allowances for differing opinions about the best brand
management.  It's hard for me to say that Elsevier or Wiley is
"immoral" when I would be doing pretty much the same things as
they are if I sat there and had their acumen.    We really have
to get beyond talking about good guys and bad guys and think
about different institutions acting in their own interests, which
are often hostile to one another.

Joe Esposito