-----Original Message-----
From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:50 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Does this mean libraries will push the envelope further on using
"fair use" to justify more copying than in the past?  Jonathan
Band, adviser to the ARL on legal issues, believes that
"transformative use" can justify copying of ANYTHING except
current textbooks, on the theory that everything else (journal
articles, monographs, etc.) is written for a specific audience of
peers and not intended for classroom use, thus "re-purposed" when
copied for classroom use. See what he has to say on this subject
in the briefing paper he provided to ARL in the HathiTrust suit.
Band argues: "the scholarly works of nonfiction that . . .
probably constitute the majority of the works within the Proposed
Use, now serve a different purpose from when written.

For example, the author and publisher in the late 1920s of a
then-comprehensive history on the decline of the Hapsburg Empire
intended to educate contemporary audiences about that history. A
scholar would now access that out-of-print book through the
Proposed Use not for purposes of learning that history, but
rather for historiographical purposes: to understand how scholars
in the middle of the 20th century viewed the decline of the
Hapsburg empire." That kind of reasoning could consign a vast
number of scholarly works to the dustbin of historiography,
whether orphaned or not. For example, in some fields where
research advances rapidly, last year's scientific paper is
already "old news." And who is to judge when a work crosses the
threshold of current to only "historiographical" interest?  Do we
really want courts determining what is timely, and what not, in
scholarly research?

Sandy Thatcher