Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

>The only point on which I think Rick is on the wrong track is in
>looking towards purchase at the article level as a replacement
>for lost content. As he points out, that model brings punitive
>pricing. Much more effective in providing large-scale
>single-article access will be an open access model, which
>provides users with the content they need - and no more than
>they need - at an affordable price for the world-wide academic
>community.

I'd hate to disagree with someone who agrees with me so
substantially, so I won't. I'll only point out that although I'm
a publicly-declared agnostic on the issue of long-term
sustainability of most OA models (and have publicly registered my
concern about the unintended consequences of redirecting research
funding from experimentation to dissemination), from an end-user
standpoint I think OA is wonderful. You certainly can't beat the
per-article pricing.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu