Re: ALPSP Maximising your Secondary Rights, London, 7th December, 2011

Fred,

Secondary rights are for markets outside of libraries (if your
primary market is libraries, which is the case for most
journals).  The greater the income for secondary rights, the less
pressure to impose price increases in the primary market.  An
example of secondary rights would be selling the rights for
translations, putting journal articles into coursepacks for
course adoptions, and licensing a database of articles in a
particular domain to help train a computer algorithm to improve
search results.

Joe Esposito