Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

>If publishers detect a pattern in which subscriptions are
>cancelled and single-article sales are substituted for them,
>then the price of single articles will rise.

Well, exactly. I fully expect publishers to do whatever they can
to continue realizing constantly-increasing revenues from their
library customers. It's only reasonable that they should do so,
especially given that they've been able to secure increasing
revenues every year for the past few decades. The problem is that
they're going to fail, because throughout those past decades, the
curves of library budgets (which have tended to increase annually
at low-single-digit rates) and journal prices (which have tended
to increase at rates of 9-10% per year) have been headed for an
inevitable and permanent divergence. Libraries have been warning
publishers about this since as long ago as the 1970s; the
standard response has been "Yeah, you keep saying there's a
pricing crisis, but then you renew all your subscriptions." Now
the divergence has come. Most of us can no longer redirect money
from other budget areas to cover extortionate subscription price
increases, so now we're cancelling, and some of us are doing so
in great chunks. Publishers (in the aggregate) aren't going to be
able to continue realizing annually-increasing revenues from
libraries anymore for the same reason that you can't realize
blood from a rock. Charging more for articles isn't going to help
publishers at all, because the money they want simply isn't there
to be had.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu