-----Original Message-----
From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Rick Anderson
Sent: 04 November, 2011 12:17 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

>Rick, when your library cancels the $300,000 worth of
>subscriptions, I'm guessing that most of that will go back into
>subscription like-services (paying for the price increases of
>the subs you do keep, paying for new e-resources - most of which
>will have some kind of subscription-like component, even if not
>for actual journals).  Would that be a fair guess? If it is,
>then the subscription model isn't exactly eroding?

Good point, Ann. Yes, the $300,000 we "save" by cancelling some
subscriptions will, in fact, be used up by the annual cost
increases for those that remain. So when I offer our subscription
cut as "evidence that libraries... are willing to substantially
reduce and/or forego the subscription model," I guess what I'm
saying is that whereas until recently we were willing to shore up
the subscription model in our library by redirecting money from
other areas to support it, we're no longer doing so. Instead,
we're now cutting subscriptions substantially rather than ponying
up more and more money to preserve the prevalence of that model
in our library. As this process continues, we'll be purchasing
dramatically less and less content under the subscription model
from year to year -- in fact, at this rate we'll have roughly
half as many subscriptions six years from now as we do today.

So in a real sense, yes, we'll still be paying for subscriptions
for the foreseeable future and therefore the model itself will
still be alive in our library. But it will be constantly
diminishing as we continue to "substantially reduce and/or
forego" our subscriptions. At the same time, we're actively
looking for alternatives to the subscription model and are
anxious to try out any that look sustainable. Right now, the only
thing keeping me from cancelling all of our subscriptions
wholesale is the punitive pricing imposed by publishers for
access at the article level.

Chris, I think your follow-up question was basically the same as
Ann's, but let me know if you need more clarification.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu