Re: Orphans, etc.

I said "hopefully temporary". I did not say "temporary"; and it
was really an expression of hope, not the description of a
factual situation.

What I am also saying is that the present situation of American
university presses should not guide the principles behind such
presses. U. presses, since Johns Hopkins U. Press began, were
subsidized by universities to disseminate works of learning, of
cultural importance, but of limited (if any) commercial value. If
pragmatic arguments are foregrounded in response to economic
pressure, this simply means that the classical model of the
university press is disappearing. The reality, of course, is more
complex: press directors, at least some of them, try to save what
they can of the principles while yielding somewhat to the
pressure. I do feel for their plight, but the reality remains:
university presses as they once were are fading in the United
States, and this is a pity because this excellent model was
designed there. Hopefully, the tradition will be preserved
elsewhere and even spread in new countries. What is important is
to maintain the model and the principles and see where it can be
implemented.

Incidentally, producing e-books only, because they cost less to
produce, would relieve some of the economic pressure.

Meanwhile orphan texts remain sterilized.

Jean-Claude Guedon

Le mercredi 02 novembre 2011 21:41 Sandy Thatcher wrote