Re: Orphans, etc.

I confess I am a little puzzled by Mr. Holzman's reaction.

I am fully aware of the financial constraints under which
university presses labour, and recognize the degree to which
pragmatic imperatives may be imposing themselves a little too
often. But one could still be "regretfully" pragmatic; one could
still declare one's adherence to higher principles and justify
adopting more practical strategies on particular, and hopefully
temporary, situations. That, I would understand and I know many
U. Presses are managed in precisely that spirit, for example at
my university. But when I hear financial concerns expressed in
such a way as to appear to trump everything else, I think it is
time to point out the worrisome nature of such a behavioural
compass.

As for lacking civility, I suspect the moderator would have put a
stop to my message, had it reflected such insensitivity. I simply
referred to values other than financial that appeared important
to me. And saying that print transformed documents into
commodities is a well-known and widely accepted thesis among
historians of printing.  And, I should add, Joe Esposito's wit is
indeed a welcomed relief. Sorry about Henry James, Joe... I
simply did not know :-)

--
Jean-Claude Guedon
Professeur titulaire